Neo-Luther

Thursday, November 16, 2006

My new hobby

Ever since I started to write to get published it hasn't seemed as fun. So I decided I was to start a new hobby. What was this hobby? Magic.


So here is the story of my trek to magical mediocrity.


First off, I am not dabbling in witchcraft, just illusion. I am, and have been as far back as I can remember, interested in how people do magic. I remember watching David Copperfield on television, and thinking what he did was cool, yet not impressive.


Why? well... he was in a studio. He had hours to practise, thousands to spend, and an aura of impenetrability that set him above mere mortals such as myself. Then I saw David Blaine.


He preformed his own version of a trick called "King Rising". Not in a studio, only with a t-shirt and some jeans, and as a normal guy walking the streets. He approached a group of women who were shopping, and asked if they wanted to see some magic. When they replied yes, he walked a few feet away from them, turned his back to them, stretched out his arms by his sides, and then raised five inches off the ground. All of him. He levitated five inches off the ground. Half of my mind said it was illusion, the other half said it was Satan.


I later found out you can buy books, DVD's and gimmicks that will let you preform this same trick. That is when my new hobby started. I knew I was a beginner so I decided to start with card effects. After all, card tricks are easy! Right? Wrong.


I bought six decks of the coolest playing cards I could find. The Black Tiger deck, and the Ghost deck. Then I got two videos explaining two basic effects. Mercury, and The Axis Change. When I preformed Mercury for a friend of mine he started to grab my arms to see if I had anything up my sleeves. He was amazed and I was hooked.


I have since learned more. Not just little tricks but I have started to learn the art of slieght of hand. At this point things are not so easy. I have never purposely put myself in a situation before where I could look like such an idiot! In fact I often do, but it is the times when the person I am preforming for grabs my arms or flipps out because I switched the card in his or her hands with the card he or she had picked. Or when they watch thier bent and signed card jump from the middle of the deck to the top.


Now if I can only learn to make money, a wife, and sleep magically appear out of nowhere. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

I like your new hobby. You are quite impressive

8:25 PM  
Blogger Slatts said...

I love magic...partularly card tricks. If you can master the flourish of shooting cards from one hand to the other over a 2 foot or more distance, I will give all of my admiration!

4:01 PM  
Blogger I-55 Games said...

I actually just received a DVD on how to do that... It will take some time though... I can barely riffle the cards from one hand over the other LOL.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home